Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Unable to DROP a logfile member (RHEL 4 / Linux)
Unable to DROP a logfile member [message #316390] Thu, 24 April 2008 22:37 Go to next message
myana.srinivas1
I am unable to drop a logfile member of a group in which there are 2 members.

SQL> alter database drop logfile member
2 '$ORACLE_HOME/oracle2dump/oracle2redo/redo32.rdo';
alter database drop logfile member
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00362: member is required to form a valid logfile in group 3
ORA-01517: log member: '$ORACLE_HOME/oracle2dump/oracle2redo/redo32.rdo'

select group#,members,status from v$log;

GROUP# MEMBERS STATUS
---------- ---------- ----------------
1 2 INACTIVE
2 2 INACTIVE
3 2 INACTIVE
4 2 CURRENT
5 2 INACTIVE

I am not dropping the current group member, but the other inactive members.
Re: Unable to DROP a logfile member [message #316396 is a reply to message #316390] Thu, 24 April 2008 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gopu_g

ORA-00362: member is required to form a valid logfile in group string
Cause: A request to drop a logfile member was denied because it would remove data required to form a complete logfile.
Action: If desired, delete the entire log (after archiving if required), by using DROP LOGFILE;
Re: Unable to DROP a logfile member [message #381736 is a reply to message #316396] Mon, 19 January 2009 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abdulaziz
Hello,

I am having the same problem as myana. I am going to apply the solution that is given but before that, I would like to know whether there is no workaround to dropping the entire log group. Is there not a way using which we can drop a particular logfile memeber?

Thanksin advance.

Re: Unable to DROP a logfile member [message #381746 is a reply to message #316390] Mon, 19 January 2009 11:08 Go to previous message
abdulaziz
I got the solution to my problem. I had added some memebers to my logfile groups and one of them wasn't in the appropriate location. That's the one I wanted to drop but I couldn't. Besides, the "status" column of the view v$logfile was reading 'INVALID' for all the memebers I had created. So I tried
alter system switch logfile
so four times (I have 3 logfile group) and when the group where the 'wrong' member was located became 'INACTIVE', I issued
alter database drop logfile member 'path_to_the_member'
. The command was successful. Afterwards, I manually deleted the file from the hard disk.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 January 2009 11:28]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: http 500 error
Next Topic: ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server [merged]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 03:59:41 CDT 2024