Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » recreate control file: do i need to create temp file after i mount the database
recreate control file: do i need to create temp file after i mount the database [message #321532] Tue, 20 May 2008 11:06 Go to next message
skumar.dba
experts,

i am in a situation like i have move database from one host to another host. now i moved all the dbf files(physical disks/file systems ).here i need to change the paths of the dbf. and i took control file trace and i made necessary changes to create control,init.ora file.(like new paths.. etc).

now i have a question. do i need to create temp table space and datafiles?

my oracle version is 9.2.0.7
Re: recreate control file: do i need to create temp file after i mount the database [message #321548 is a reply to message #321532] Tue, 20 May 2008 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
varu123
You are saying you moved all the datafiles including control files.
Did you restore the datafiles in the location you set during recreating control file.
If you did not restore tempfiles than you need to create it.
What is the current state of the database?
Can you login as sysdba and start the database?
Re: recreate control file: do i need to create temp file after i mount the database [message #321564 is a reply to message #321548] Tue, 20 May 2008 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skumar.dba
database is down now.
now i am making all the changes required to create control file. like
path's of dbf
path's of log files
changes in init.ora file

-- and i got a doubt with temp files.
i have moved the temp files too.
that is the reason i have posted this question.

reason why i am creating control file is while moving LUN from one server to another we got some Path problems. means on the target server already paths existed for other database.

Re: recreate control file: do i need to create temp file after i mount the database [message #321649 is a reply to message #321564] Tue, 20 May 2008 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dipali Vithalani
If you have restored the temp datafile to another location then, yes, you should specify that location in control file too.. Or you can specify it using alter tablespace <temptbs> add tempfile statement.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 May 2008 23:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: recreate control file: do i need to create temp file after i mount the database [message #321750 is a reply to message #321532] Wed, 21 May 2008 04:21 Go to previous message
Arju

If control file is binary with it temp file information is not there. If it is trace then inside it temp file information is there.

If you use binary one then it will be better if you perform restore operation and then you manually create temporary tablespace.
Previous Topic: IS and AS
Next Topic: REDO log status
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 20 11:39:14 CDT 2024