Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Redo Log record content. (Oracle 10.2.0.1, Os: windows xp)
Redo Log record content. [message #346876] Tue, 09 September 2008 23:57 Go to next message
Dipali Vithalani
Hi Friends,

I am studying Supplemental logging in detail. Have read lots of articles and oracle documentation about it and redo logs. But couldnot found answers of some doubts..
Please help me clear it.

Scenario: we have one table with primary key. And we execute an update query on that table which is not using the primary key column in any clause..
Question: In this case, does the redo log entry generated for the changes done by update query contain the primary columns values..?

Question:If we have any table with primary key, do we need to enable the supplemental logging on primary columns of that table? If yes, in which circumstances, do we need to enable it?

Also please suggest any good article/site which provide inside details of redo log and supplemental logging, if you know.

Regards,
Dipali..

Re: Redo Log record content. [message #346882 is a reply to message #346876] Wed, 10 September 2008 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Why are YOU incapable or unwilling to run your own benchmark tests so see the results on yourself?
Re: Redo Log record content. [message #346884 is a reply to message #346882] Wed, 10 September 2008 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dipali Vithalani
I dont know the way to see/find the contect of redo log.
I want to know whether in first scenario, oracle will store primary column values or not..
If there is any way, please tell me..

Regards,
Dipali..
Re: Redo Log record content. [message #346885 is a reply to message #346884] Wed, 10 September 2008 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dipali Vithalani
Ana,

Please suggest me , how should i run my own benchmark tests so see the results on myself.. I really don't have idea, how to do this..
Re: Redo Log record content. [message #346886 is a reply to message #346884] Wed, 10 September 2008 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Dipali Vithalani wrote on Tue, 09 September 2008 22:23
I dont know the way to see/find the contect of redo log.
I want to know whether in first scenario, oracle will store primary column values or not..
If there is any way, please tell me..

Regards,
Dipali..

Why ask any question if you will blindly accept answer from unaccountable stranger?

How will you KNOW which answer is correct/true?
Re: Redo Log record content. [message #346899 is a reply to message #346876] Wed, 10 September 2008 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Scenario: we have one table with primary key. And we execute an update query on that table which is not using the primary key column in any clause..
Question: In this case, does the redo log entry generated for the changes done by update query contain the primary columns values..?

By default, no.
If you activate supplemental logging for this, yes.

Quote:
Question:If we have any table with primary key, do we need to enable the supplemental logging on primary columns of that table? If yes, in which circumstances, do we need to enable it?

Do you need, generally speaking, no.
You have to for some features like Streams.

Regards
Michel

Re: Redo Log record content. [message #346955 is a reply to message #346899] Wed, 10 September 2008 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dipali Vithalani
Thank you so much Michel,

I got Exactly what i was looking for.
Yes, ultimatetly, i am doing study for all this for Stream Replication..

My actual intension was to find "Do we need to enable supplemental logging on primary columns, perticularly for Stream replication" . After getting above doubts solved, i was about to ask this , if not got cleared myself.. But you are simply Superb, Dear. Before i ask, you get me.. Smile This is where experience comes into picture. Instade of just confusing the person by asking various questions (generally not related to original quesion), got the exact point of problem and giving point to point hint.. Smile

Thanks..

@Ana
So many things are there in this beautiful world, which all you cannot test yourself, and where you have to beleive the thing said by someone whom you trust.
In this forum, so many respected members are there, whom i can believe that, either they will put me on right path to testing (if i am going wrong), or suggst the right solution...

And, ohter things is: I never felt that i am putting my problems towards Strangers while posting my problem in our forum.

Regards,
Dipali.
Re: Redo Log record content. [message #347090 is a reply to message #346955] Wed, 10 September 2008 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
varunvir
Hi Dipali,
The other things you need to take care during streaming are:-
1,Sequences
2,Trigger Behaviour

Regards,
Varun Punj,
Re: Redo Log record content. [message #347168 is a reply to message #347090] Wed, 10 September 2008 23:04 Go to previous message
Dipali Vithalani
Thanks Varun,

For trigger, i have tested lots of cases to note trigger behaviour.

For sequence, i will test today.. Thanks for pointing it out..

Regards,
Dipali..
Previous Topic: Post upgrade to 10.2.0.4 - a new listener
Next Topic: Database upgradation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 00:09:10 CDT 2024