Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » NFS archivelog destination (Oracle 10.2.0.3 Linux)
NFS archivelog destination [message #349982] Tue, 23 September 2008 11:59 Go to next message
mkahler
Hi. I want to setup a secondary archivelog destination to a NFS mount point (10.2.0.3). For example, I want to set the following spfile parameters:

db_recovery_file_dest=/data3/flash_recovery_area
log_archive_dest_2='LOCATION=/nfs_mount_point'
log_archive_dest_10='LOCATION=USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST'

The problem is if the nfs server serving /nfs_mount_point becomes unavailable. Since /nfs_mount_point needs to be mounted with the "hard" attribute (per 10.2.x), any I/O's to the NFS mount point will wait until the nfs server returns. Therefore, the archiver will hang writing to that mount point...and the database hangs. Since no error is returned from NFS, the archiver hangs indefinitely until the nfs server returns.

We tried setting OPTIONAL for log_archive_dest_2, with no luck. It seems if I mount the /nfs_mount_point as "soft" and specify a timeout, the archiver will continue once it receives the timeout error from NFS.

Any help in working around this hang issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Re: NFS archivelog destination [message #350015 is a reply to message #349982] Tue, 23 September 2008 14:39 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
The hang comes from NFS, Oracle can do nothing, it is just a client, if there is no answer, it waits.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: processes parameter
Next Topic: oracle 9i installation on win xp service pack2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 01:41:56 CDT 2024