Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Configuring ASM (db,10.2.0.1,RHEL4)
Configuring ASM [message #350198] Wed, 24 September 2008 06:22
abdulaziz
Hello,

I would like to configure ASM to use it with a db on LINUX. I went through some oracle documentation and seemingly, ASM is more recommended than file system storage and Raw devices.
Anyway, I would like some light to be shed by more experienced dbas on some point that I haven't understood.

1- Is it possible to use ASM with only one HDD?

2- Suppose we have 2 or 3 HDD and we create 2 or more partitions on those HDD. Can we configure ASM on those partitions? Can we use those partitions in diskgroup rather than the whole HD?

3- Suppose the HD we have already have data and we want to configure ASM on them and use them in diskgroup. Is there a risk of losing the existing data if those HD are part of diskgroup?

4- Is it always necessary to "prepare" the HD before configuring ASM by installing and configuring ASM Library Driver? Can't we configure ASM without passing by that step?

5- I have downloaded the ASM library driver packages using a URL I got from an Oracle document.My kernel version is 2.6.9-42 EL and my system architecture is i686. My db is on a Linux x86
system. The oracleasm-support and oraclelib .rpm I downloaded for x86 architecture seem to be for i386(oracleasm(lib)-support-2.0.3-1.i386.rpm). Is it going to work on my system? In the Oracle documentation I have, they mentionned
3 packages to be installed for installing and configuraing ASM library Driver: oracleasm-support, oracleasm, and oracleasmlib; but in addition to the oracleasm-support and oracleasmlib
I got 3 other packages (2.6.9-42.EL, 2.6.9-42.ELsmp,2.6.9-42.ELhugemem). Should I apply them all?

Thanks in advance.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 September 2008 06:23]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: oracle 9i installation on win xp service pack2
Next Topic: One stop server status/health survey script.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 01:23:22 CDT 2024