Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » sppurge.sql keeps generating archives in spite of killing the process (oracle 8.1.7.4 on solaris 64 bit)
sppurge.sql keeps generating archives in spite of killing the process [message #353458] Mon, 13 October 2008 23:28 Go to next message
nelson_isaac
Hi,

I usually use sptrunc.sql to free up space in statspack tables. This is had to clear old data prior to 6 months. So, i used sppurge.sql. I started this during off-hour. There was enough free space in the archive location. This process ran for few hours. It generated huge amount of archives and my used space went up to 90%. I had to kill the process. It's been few hours now and i still see archive logs getting generated continuously. There is no user activity at all. I am forced to sit and remove the most old archive logs. Could i have done this in a better way ?? Why is the archive logs getting generated continuously in spite of the process being killed few hours before.. it was killed at the database level and at the OS level. Can someone explain please ? Thanks.
Re: sppurge.sql keeps generating archives in spite of killing the process [message #353460 is a reply to message #353458] Mon, 13 October 2008 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
When you kill a process the work it has done and not committed must be rolled back and this generates some modifications that need to be protected by redo.

Regards
Michel
Re: sppurge.sql keeps generating archives in spite of killing the process [message #353462 is a reply to message #353458] Mon, 13 October 2008 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nelson_isaac
Thanks for the reply. Is there a way i can find out how much more logs might get archived.. Anyways, the changes are not going to get applied to the database since i killed the operation. Is there a way i can nullify this process without having the system spend resources generating archive data.
Re: sppurge.sql keeps generating archives in spite of killing the process [message #353474 is a reply to message #353462] Tue, 14 October 2008 00:40 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Is there a way i can nullify this process without having the system spend resources generating archive data.

No, there is no way to stop redo generation.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Cannot install Oracle 10g to windows itanium.
Next Topic: How to install oracle 10g software in a windows platform server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 07 23:10:02 CDT 2024