Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle 6 DB Problem (Oracle 6)
Oracle 6 DB Problem [message #354809] Tue, 21 October 2008 06:38 Go to next message
SandLake
I have been asked to look at an Oracle 6 DB problem and can't get to the bottom of it. I only have access via a dialup modem at 9.6 kbaud.

The error appears when trying to insert into a table, 'ORA-01556: maximum number of 57 extents exceeded' the table in question has max extents set to 800, I have added a datafile to the tablespace that the table resides in with no success.

Any ideas?
(I know an Oracle 6 DB is past its sell by date - but a shiny new system is on the horizon)
Re: Oracle 6 DB Problem [message #354813 is a reply to message #354809] Tue, 21 October 2008 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
There is a maximum number of extents for each segment that depends on block size.
The only things you ca do is:
- recreate the object with larger extents (export/drop/create/import)
- recreate the database with larger block size.

Regards
Michel
Re: Oracle 6 DB Problem [message #354827 is a reply to message #354809] Tue, 21 October 2008 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Ever feel like you stepped into a time machine?

9600 baud modem in Oracle 6? Hehehe.

We really need to see your entire session. why do you say it's the table that exceeded it's extents? It could be TEMP space, ROLLBACK or the index tablespace. but we're only guessing because you gave only a partial error message.

I don't know about version 6 (I was using Oracle with that version), but that error number does not translate to your error message in current version of Oracle.
Re: Oracle 6 DB Problem [message #354830 is a reply to message #354827] Tue, 21 October 2008 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SandLake
I am reading up on Data Blocks, Extents and Segments (for Oracle9i as I cannot find Oracle6 documentation) but in the meantime

The error comes from an Oracle Forms application and the user can press (I think F19) to 'show error' and this shows

SQL statement had Error of insert into rts (blah blah blah)

and at the bottom of the screen

ORA-01556: maximum number of 57 extents exceeded

The rts table is currently on its 57th extent and the max extents is set to 800.

It appears the ORA-01556 error has changed from this, I have googled it and can find references to the error my user is getting.

I am curently locked out for some reason but will look into TEMP/ROLLBACK and INDEX tablespaces when I get back on

Thanks Michel Cadot and joy_division for your help
Re: Oracle 6 DB Problem [message #354850 is a reply to message #354809] Tue, 21 October 2008 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
WOW...Oracle 6. They got their use out of that, that's for sure. Definitely provides attestation for the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

I don't think I've seen someone post a question on anything prior to version 7.

Re: Oracle 6 DB Problem [message #354852 is a reply to message #354850] Tue, 21 October 2008 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
As Michel said, there is no way to set "max extends" in Oracle 6, so when you say "max extents is set to 800." that can not be true for Oracle 6.

When I started to work it was on Oracle 7.3, and the "GREAT NEW FEATURE!!" That I read a lot about while learning was that the maximum number of extents for an object was no longer a fixed value depending on extend size and block size as it has been prior to that, so there was no longer the need to monitor and re-create objects as needed when they reached their max extends.

Re: Oracle 6 DB Problem [message #378968 is a reply to message #354809] Sat, 03 January 2009 05:00 Go to previous message
makon2
hello, i have the same problem.

Oracle V6 has no TEMP Tablespace. For sort operation
it use a temp.table in the tablespace with the "default storage".

i have alter the default storage and my create index runs.
show the current values with: select * from dba_tablespaces;

alter tablespace users default storage
(initial 100k next 100k maxextents 99 pctincrease 50);

change the init and next to your size needed
and check the free space in the tablespace.

[Updated on: Sat, 03 January 2009 05:01]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Oracle shutdown immediate hang
Next Topic: parallel query error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 03:02:46 CDT 2024