Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » 3~5 seconds to connect to oracle
3~5 seconds to connect to oracle [message #369373] Thu, 07 September 2000 09:23 Go to next message
iRcH
I'm now running an Oracle8i over Solaris 7.
But even only one client try connecting to server,
for example, run svrmgrl, it toke me 3 seconds
before I can see the text like 'Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release ...'. And every oraclesid process will take over 70M mem.

After I had reinstalled it yesterday, per oraclesid process takes over 130M mem now and connection time delay increases to nearly 5 seconds.

Where's the problem? Who can give me some advices?

P.S. The server I used is Sun Enterprise 3500.
More description [message #369375 is a reply to message #369373] Thu, 07 September 2000 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iRcH
I thought it maybe caused by operating system or hardware. Because even if I shutdown the oracle server, then run svrmgrl, it still need 3~5 seconds before the text 'Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release ...' appeared.

But what on earth is the reason?
Re: 3~5 seconds to connect to oracle [message #369376 is a reply to message #369373] Thu, 07 September 2000 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil@intelus.com
Few things to check-
* CPU idle%
* free memory -vmstat
* swap page i/o -vmstat
* enought free disk space -df

Read the Oracle platform-perf notes and tune the kernel?

hth,
Sunil
What I found [message #369379 is a reply to message #369376] Thu, 07 September 2000 13:37 Go to previous message
iRcH
I installed o8i on another server. It worked smoothly. Then I copy the whole oracle directory from new server to SunE3500 and changed some configurations(mainly about server name and path). It still ran well after migration. Then I remove all the oracle copies from both server, and reinstall it on SunE3500, the connection operation kept slow. Copy this copy to the very 'new server', it ran slow too.

Then did it mean the problem is just caused by the installing environment, but not the running environment. Maybe compiler? Or other factor?
Previous Topic: Data Dictonary
Next Topic: Re: Command to drop all tables???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:50:33 CDT 2024