Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » SQL Loader Question - Keeping blanks as blanks instead of nulls
SQL Loader Question - Keeping blanks as blanks instead of nulls [message #372046] Fri, 05 January 2001 15:01 Go to next message
Mike Oakes
Hello,
I am loading data from an ascii text file into an oracle database using SQL Loader. The data in some of the columns is = ''(quote,quote). When I load this data into oracle it is converted to NULL. Is there a way to keep the value assigned to ''. I have set up a sql string to use nvl(col,'') but this doesn't seem to work. ANy help would greatly be appreciate.

Thanks
Re: SQL Loader Question - Keeping blanks as blanks instead of nulls [message #372060 is a reply to message #372046] Mon, 08 January 2001 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bala
Hi,

Check the syntex of the control file you are using
The ctl file should be something like this

load data
replace into table temp_table
FIELDS TERMINATED BY "~"
OPTIONALLY ENCLOSED BY '"'
TRAILING NULLCOLS
(
ID,
Col1 "nvl(:col1, '"')",
col2,
col3
)

Bala
Re: SQL Loader Question - Keeping blanks as blanks instead of nulls [message #372067 is a reply to message #372060] Mon, 08 January 2001 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike Oakes
Thanks for responding Bala,
I tried this solution and thought it was working but when I go into SQL plus and run a simple select statement such as

Select column1 from table1 where column1='';

It returns no rows for the query. It looks as though ORACLE cannot use the ''. Also if i just create a record and assign ''(quote,quote) into it and then do a select statement on ''(quote,quote) it doesn;t find it.

Can ORACLE handle '' as a valid data and store it the same way so that it can be retried the same way it was loaded?

Example
insert into table1 (column1,column2) values('TEST','');

select * from table1 where column2='';

This would not pull the record I just added.

Thanks for your help,
Mike O.
Re: SQL Loader Question - Keeping blanks as blanks instead of nulls [message #372069 is a reply to message #372060] Mon, 08 January 2001 18:03 Go to previous message
Bala
Hi Mike
If you want to insert two single quotes ''
you have to put them inside two pair of singel quotes.
Like this

SQL> create table table1(cloumn1 varchar2(10), column2 varchar2(10));
table created.
SQL> insert into table1 (column1,column2) values('TEST',''''''); ---> totally six quotes.

1 row inserted.

SQL> select * from table1 where column2='''''''; --> again six single quotes
column1 column2
Test ''

If you insert only two single quotes like your example
SQL> insert into table1 (column1,column2) values('TEST','');

1 row inserted.

Then only null will be inserted for column2...
so you have to
SQL> select * from table1 where column2 is null;

column1 column2
Test

Bala.
Previous Topic: composite primary keys
Next Topic: Trigger question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 00:33:21 CDT 2024