Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » select statement ...
select statement ... [message #372073] Tue, 09 January 2001 02:14 Go to next message
jimmy
Hi,

I have a select statement that looks like this;

select * from myTable where aColumn in (1, 3, 4);

This will return all records with the value 1, 3 and 4 in column aColumn.

My question;
Is it possible to write a pl/sql function that returns a list of numbers to the statement? Like this;

select * from myTable where aColumn in (getNumbers);

The function getNumbers should for exmaple return 1, 3, 4.

Thank you!

Jimmy
Re: select statement ... [message #372079 is a reply to message #372073] Tue, 09 January 2001 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Lesswing
Try a subquery:

select * from myTable where aColumn in (select number from dual);
Re: select statement ... [message #372081 is a reply to message #372073] Tue, 09 January 2001 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimmy
Hi,

I know that "select * from myTable where aColumn in (select number from dual);" works.
I also know that "select * from myTable where aColumn in (getNumbers);" works if it returns one value.
The problem is if I want several values returned from a pl/sql function, not from a subquery.

//Jimmy
Re: select statement - PL/SQL loop... [message #372087 is a reply to message #372073] Tue, 09 January 2001 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew again...
if the numbers are queried from a table at some point, you can open a cursor in a function/proc, loop through the results and concatenated them together with commas in between. Problem is that there will be a limit to the string length and this is not much different to a subquery anyway.
Re: select statement ... [message #372100 is a reply to message #372073] Wed, 10 January 2001 05:30 Go to previous message
John R
Sadly there is no way to return a list from Pl/Sql to an IN statement. (Or if there is, I don't know of it and would dearly like to be told)

What you can do is to create a function into which you pass the value from the database, which will then do a comparison between that value and the list, returnin a 'Y' if a match is found and a 'N' otherwise.

This will let you rewrite the query as

Select *
From MyTable
Where fn_in_list(aColumn) = 'Y'
Previous Topic: Returning a value to VB
Next Topic: Top 100 report
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 23:00:27 CDT 2024