Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » SYS user and RECYCLEBIN/DROP (10g 2.0.1 Unbreakable Linux)
SYS user and RECYCLEBIN/DROP [message #376297] Tue, 16 December 2008 18:36 Go to next message
greendba
This question is a toss up between general admin and recovery...

Why is it that the SYS user cannot access SHOW RECYCLEBIN the same way as every other user?

What if the sys user creates a table and drops it... We cannot use "flashback table table_name before drop" How do we recover the table?

Thanks!
Eric
Re: SYS user and RECYCLEBIN/DROP [message #376310 is a reply to message #376297] Tue, 16 December 2008 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>What if the sys user creates a table and drops it ...
Well, that should never happen.
SYS schema is not supposed to be used for any custom object. It is meant only for metadata.

recyclebin is owned by SYS (sys.recyclebin$).
>>We cannot use "flashback table table_name before drop"

I ***believe*** flashack is not supported for SYS schema.

Re: SYS user and RECYCLEBIN/DROP [message #376347 is a reply to message #376297] Wed, 17 December 2008 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Why is it that the SYS user cannot access SHOW RECYCLEBIN the same way as every other user?

- SYS is special
- SYS does not act like any other user
- When you use SYS Oracle deactivates some code path and activates others
- Whatever you do with SYS will neither validate nor invalidate the same thing with any other user.

Quote:
What if the sys user creates a table and drops it... We cannot use "flashback table table_name before drop" How do we recover the table?

- Never ever use SYS but for maintenance purpose (startup, shutdown, backup, recover)
- SYS is Oracle proprietary (try to open a SR/TAR starting with "i did that with SYS" and you'll see the immediate answer)

NEVER EVER use SYS for anything that can be done by another user.
Use SYS ONLY for something that can't be done by someone else.

Regards
Michel
Re: SYS user and RECYCLEBIN/DROP [message #376509 is a reply to message #376297] Wed, 17 December 2008 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greendba
Thanks for the input gentlemen(peoples of all gender?)...

I understand the functionality of SYS... but the rational for why certain features don't function the same way as regular users, I don't...

My thinking is in Linux terms... the root user should never be used except for administrative tasks... however, the root user can create documents and do other "normal" user tasks...

I guess this quotes sits best with me

"...SYS schema is not supposed to be used for any custom object. It is meant only for metadata..."

Thanks to both you for your input

Cheers!
Re: SYS user and RECYCLEBIN/DROP [message #376582 is a reply to message #376509] Wed, 17 December 2008 23:28 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I understand the functionality of SYS... but the rational for why certain features don't function the same way as regular users, I don't...

Quote:
- SYS is special
- SYS does not act like any other user
- When you use SYS Oracle deactivates some code path and activates others

You just have to admit this, SYS is NOT a regular user.

Quote:
My thinking is in Linux terms... the root user should never be used except for administrative tasks... however, the root user can create documents and do other "normal" user tasks...

Any analogy has its limits then this is one SYS is not root, it is just for administrative tasks.
I should say that Unix is wrong, root should not be able to act like any other user.
SYS is not a superuser, it is from outer user space. (Like PUBLIC is not a role.)

Regards
Michel

Previous Topic: Unable to change password via sqlplus ?
Next Topic: send & receive email through oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 05:53:19 CDT 2024