Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Huge migration from Windows to Solaris. (Tons of Oracle 8i/9i on Windows to Oracle 8i/9i on Solaris )
icon3.gif  Huge migration from Windows to Solaris. [message #380974] Wed, 14 January 2009 09:33 Go to next message
leo.elias
Hi there,

I am working on a project, huge one, to migrate all the Oracle Databases running on Windows to Solaris. The idea is, for example, to get an Oracle8i running on some version of Windows (2000) and export the database followed by an import on a Solaris 8/9/10 server running the same version of Oracle (8i). At first look that would work just fine with no impact to the application interfaces... I have some experience with this kind of migration and my experience makes me concerned..

So, i decide to post on this forum just to check if any of you guys have any tip or idea that would help.

Is there any difference on Oracle 8i/9i on Windows to Oracle 8i/9i on Solaris ? Any Floating Point issue or something ? Should i consider something before getting into the migration ?

PS: I know that 8i/9i is desupported and i/we also know all the legal problemas regarding to this migration and we (our company/client) are ok with it.

So guys, thats it.

Any tip/idea/help/*** will be Welcome! Smile

Thanks,
Leo

[Updated on: Wed, 14 January 2009 09:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Huge migration from Windows to Solaris. [message #380993 is a reply to message #380974] Wed, 14 January 2009 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
I do not believe 8i will work with Solaris 10. you should check with the certification matrix on Metalink.
Re: Huge migration from Windows to Solaris. [message #381014 is a reply to message #380993] Wed, 14 January 2009 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
leo.elias
joy_division wrote on Wed, 14 January 2009 17:15
I do not believe 8i will work with Solaris 10. you should check with the certification matrix on Metalink.

For 8i DBs ill use Solaris8...
Re: Huge migration from Windows to Solaris. [message #383206 is a reply to message #380974] Tue, 27 January 2009 14:15 Go to previous message
Sanjay Bajracharya
To do : move from 8i on Windows to 9i on Sun (even better 10g).

Here is what I would do.

1. Install a higher version of Oracle in the Windows system, let's say 9i
2. Use the Oracle 9i Export and export the schema/db
3. Import into 9i on Sun

(Note: In this manner, you only need to install 9i in Sun. Even better go to 10g on Sun which is supported)

You have not mentioned how big your db is. Keep in mind, assign double the time for import as to what it takes for an export.

Example: it took 20 minutes to export, then think of 40 minutes to import.
Previous Topic: java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Connection timed out
Next Topic: I've got the ORA-600 error, but metalink can not help me much more!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 04:03:21 CDT 2024