Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Discrepancy between NLS_RDBMS_VERSION and DBA_REGISTRY (merged)
Discrepancy between NLS_RDBMS_VERSION and DBA_REGISTRY (merged) [message #384688] Wed, 04 February 2009 21:22 Go to next message
blazingrock4u

Hi

We have got two databases PRODDB and TESTDB. Until last November, both were on 9.2.0.6
Later, 9.2.0.8 patch was applied by two different DBA teams.

The TESTDB was done by me and I had just followed the readme to successfully apply the patch.
When I check the NLS_RDBMS_VERSION in NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS and DBA_REGISTRY, they both rightly showed 9.2.0.8

Patch on PRODDB was applied by a separate team. When I queried on PRODDB, I've found that the NLS_RDBMS_VERSION was 9.2.0.6, whereas DBA_REGISTRY shows 9.2.0.8

Could you please advise:
(a) What could be the reason for this discrepancy?
(b) What is the prominence of NLS_RDBMS_VERSION?
(c) Will there be any issues in having this discrepancy?
(b) How can this be resolved?

Thanks,
Abby
Re: Discrepancy in NLS_RDBMS_VERSION and DBA_REGSITRY [message #384701 is a reply to message #384688] Wed, 04 February 2009 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
You need to help us by following the Posting Guidelines as stated below.
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
So we can help you & please be consistent & correct in your postings.
Do not post same problem more than once.

Re: Discrepancy in NLS_RDBMS_VERSION and DBA_REGSITRY [message #385080 is a reply to message #384701] Fri, 06 February 2009 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
@BlackSwan - I must ask: what is it that you think is missing from or incorrect in the opening post?

It can't have been anything important, or you'd surely have mentioned it explicitly, and yet presumably there was something important enough for you to feel the need to reply without actually offering any help?

The opening post strikes me as a concise and clearly written description of a problem, and it seems to me that your post adds precisely nothing except officious pedantry to the thread.

If was unpleasantly cynical, I'd say that you were making all these pro-forma back seat moderation posts in an attempt to get your posting count up to Moderator level without actually having to spend the time helping people solve their problems.
Re: Discrepancy between NLS_RDBMS_VERSION and DBA_REGISTRY (merged) [message #385086 is a reply to message #384688] Fri, 06 February 2009 06:37 Go to previous message
JRowbottom
I would hazard a guess that the other team didn't applythe patch in the same fashion as you. Presumably they missed a step, or didn't report an error.

I presume that if you look at Version on v$instance for both databases that they return the same?

Previous Topic: Appropriate size for Autoextending datafile in oracle 10g
Next Topic: Problem when shutdown improperly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 05:26:29 CDT 2024