Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Automating tablespace administration (10.2.0.2)
Automating tablespace administration [message #393413] Sun, 22 March 2009 13:01 Go to next message
jcyp_71
Hello,

Can you give me some tips or considerations to automate tablespace administration?

I know that Enterprise Manager can implement thresholds(critical and warnings) about free space and occupied space, but this is relative to current size of datafiles but do not take into consideration max extents.

If you have some advice or scipts i could implement to monitor this i would thank a lot.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Automating tablespace administration [message #393415 is a reply to message #393413] Sun, 22 March 2009 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>but do not take into consideration max extents
Why would you monitor that? In 10g? Are you still using dictionary managed tablespaces?
Just search the forum. There are many versions available.

[Updated on: Sun, 22 March 2009 13:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Automating tablespace administration [message #393425 is a reply to message #393415] Sun, 22 March 2009 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jcyp_71
Excuse me please, i didn't mean maxextents but maxsize, i think i did not explain correctly, in fact i'm usng locally managed tablespaces, but what i really need is an automatic way to know if a tablespace is running out of free space, but taken into consideration total space (maxsize) it can grow on the filesystem, not only the size that is currently extended.
Re: Automating tablespace administration [message #393426 is a reply to message #393413] Sun, 22 March 2009 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan

GOOGLE works too!
Re: Automating tablespace administration [message #393428 is a reply to message #393425] Sun, 22 March 2009 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>consideration total space (maxsize) it can grow on the filesystem
The file can only grow if you have enabled autoextend on, which is a bad idea.
Without autoextend on, you can just monitor the space used within the tablespace and if it reaches a certain threshold you get alerted and do something .
If you have autoextend on, you may run the issue of eating up the diskspace and need to get the System admins to get involved to extend the disk.
Either way, you need to do monitoring. So, it is better to go without autoextend on.
If you still want to go with, all it needs is a simple shell script.
Do a
df -h

and filter out what you want and do whatever you want with it.
Re: Automating tablespace administration [message #393430 is a reply to message #393413] Sun, 22 March 2009 15:27 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
Or simply use what is provided at this site!

http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Scripts#Space_Management_Scripts

If you would simply take some time & effort to SEARCH!
Previous Topic: Wrapped Packages
Next Topic: Error in Oracle 10g Installation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 03:56:18 CDT 2024