Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » DBverify Vs RMAN Validate (Oracle 10.2.0.3 Linux AS4)
DBverify Vs RMAN Validate [message #394393] Thu, 26 March 2009 14:52 Go to next message
rsreddy28
Hi all,

Which one is better between the dbverify and the RMAN Validate command. I read that with dbv , the datafiles become in a read-only mode while checking for block corruption . And what if any transactions happen during running dbv? And does the datafile become in a read-only mode during the RMAN validate option.

And when we come to the RMAN > backup validate database. what happens during this time . DOes it backup the database and populate any corrupted blocks in the V$DATABASE_BLOCK_CORRUPTION view when we run the above command.

And is it mandatory that we specify the below init.ora paramters before running the validate command:

DB_BLOCK_CHECKING=TRUE
DB_BLOCK_CHECKSUM=TRUE

And I guess there will be some overhead when we set the above parameters.

Kindly clear my doubts on this.

Regards,
Raj
Re: DBverify Vs RMAN Validate [message #394395 is a reply to message #394393] Thu, 26 March 2009 14:57 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>I read that with dbv , the datafiles become in a read-only mode while checking for block corruption .
NOT TRUE & you would know so if you were ever willing to RTFM.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b25416/apb.htm#sthref653

The database verification utility (DBV) is the preferred technique for verifying the integrity of the database. Run this utility with the DBV symbol.
Since Oracle Database 10g release 1, DBV can be used on an open database.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 March 2009 14:57]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: INSERT without archive
Next Topic: Autoextend on
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 23:47:02 CDT 2024