Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle upgrade and oracle homes (Oracle,9.2.0.1.0,Windows 2000)
Oracle upgrade and oracle homes [message #395671] Thu, 02 April 2009 03:42 Go to next message
aviana
Hi,
I have recently upgraded a Oracle 8i PE database to Oracle9i Enterprise edition using the DBUA.But I had to manually edit the registry, for the database to startup automatically.
The DBUA generated the SPFILE but the database did not startup automatically even though the database service for new 9i database was starting up automatically.
I had to create a pfile manually from spfile and change the registry editor to change the Pfile path, then the database started automatically..
Things now seems to work fine, but now please tell me,
1)is there any other registry variables should I check, to make sure I don't get any complaints in the future?
2)I have 2 oracle_homes now, so if I delete the old oracle home, (to get some space), will there be a chance of any issues?
The old directory structure was
c:\oracle\ora81(old oracle home)
I created c:\oracle9i , the new oracle home
But the datafiles are in c:\oracle\ folder and config files are in c:\oracle9i folder now.
3)If I now uninstall the old database using Oracle universal installer,will it delete any necessary files needed for oracle 9i?
I am totally confused now, as how to delete old 8i related files and registry keys.
Also when taking, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE, the oracle_home now showing is, the old 8i home..
But everything else is fine, as the old applications now successfully point to the new 9i database and there is only 1 database in the system, which is in 9i.

Re: Oracle upgrade and oracle homes [message #395680 is a reply to message #395671] Thu, 02 April 2009 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

Quote:
>>2)I have 2 oracle_homes now, so if I delete the old oracle home, (to get some space), will there be a chance of any issues?
The old directory structure was
c:\oracle\ora81(old oracle home)
I created c:\oracle9i , the new oracle home

Instead of delete; deinstall your oracle 8i.

Quote:
)is there any other registry variables should I check, to make sure I don't get any complaints in the future?

Are you sure? Your all oracle services stated automatically?

Quote:
3)If I now uninstall the old database using Oracle universal installer,will it delete any necessary files needed for oracle 9i?

No; Don't remove any files from oracle 9i.

PS: Requesting to you; Before doing any thing take one complete cold backup.

Babu
Re: Oracle upgrade and oracle homes [message #395698 is a reply to message #395680] Thu, 02 April 2009 05:17 Go to previous message
aviana
Thanks for the reply but still not very clear..
By deinstall, you mean just select the uninstall option for oracle 8i database?What does the uninstall do..just uninstall the old oracle home and leave any data files as such?I am afraid, if it will delete any files needed to run the new Oracle 9i database
(The new Datafiles are still in c:\oracle\oradata folder -The old datafiles were here as well but after upgrade also, it is still here and is getting updated by the oracle 9i database.I was thinking that the datafiles will be in c:\oracle9i folder, which I newly created for the installation)

There is no need to have the Oracle multiple homes in the laptop.Only 1 home is required.

I have a cold backup
Previous Topic: Patching error
Next Topic: listener.trc file is compressable or not ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 00:14:26 CDT 2024