Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Heavy system usage at startup/resume (Oracl1 11g, WinXP sp2)
Heavy system usage at startup/resume [message #401479] Tue, 05 May 2009 03:15 Go to next message
Tomarenz
Hi,
I'm using Oracle 11g since a few months. Db is nearly empty, just a few empty tables and about 20 types defined.
System is WinXP sp2, 2 Gb memory.
At startup or resume - there is a heavy system activity for a couple of minutes. The top process is oracle.exe, eating up to 20% of CPU. But there is a strong disk activity, which almost blocks the system till it finishes (a few minutes).
The task manager reports no process swapping though, since memory remains far below 2 Gb.
Any suggestion to avoid this effect is appreciated.
Re: Heavy system usage at startup/resume [message #401483 is a reply to message #401479] Tue, 05 May 2009 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Oracle allocates its shared memory as you have few RAM you have a high swap activity.
Purchase 1 GB RAM more and it will be OK.
Also check you didn't ask for too much SGA for you needs.

Regards
Michel
Re: Heavy system usage at startup/resume [message #401485 is a reply to message #401479] Tue, 05 May 2009 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tomarenz
Thanks, Michel.
Indeed I considered swapping as the main reason - but I was confused by the task manager reporting nearly 1.3 Gb of memory usage.
I still don't understand the SGA issue - whatever it is.
I didn't touch anythings after installation.
DB usage occurs through SQL Developer and mostly from Java/JDBC.

-- Renzo
Re: Heavy system usage at startup/resume [message #401492 is a reply to message #401485] Tue, 05 May 2009 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I still don't understand the SGA issue

First check it with "show sga".

Also check you cleanly shutdown the database, that is with option "normal" or "immediate" and not "abort" or kill the process/service: check alert.log for shutdown messages.

Regards
Michel
Re: Heavy system usage at startup/resume [message #401503 is a reply to message #401479] Tue, 05 May 2009 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tomarenz
Ah ok, in short SGA it's about server memory usage.
I installed Oracle using defaults for whatsoever it needed - thus no configuration parameters were ever changed (nor I would even know how to).
The oracle service itself is started up/shutdown automatically, there is no alert.log, or I couldn't find it.
Anyway I just purchased another Gb of memory, just in case.
Thanks,

-- Renzo
Re: Heavy system usage at startup/resume [message #401512 is a reply to message #401503] Tue, 05 May 2009 05:56 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I installed Oracle using defaults for whatsoever it needed - thus no configuration parameters were ever changed (nor I would even know how to).

Issue "show sga" command as I said.

Quote:
The oracle service itself is started up/shutdown automatically.

The way the service stops the database depends on registry parameter, check HKLM\SoftWare\Oracle\<your home name>

Quote:
there is no alert.log, or I couldn't find it.

It is in the directory pointed by background_dump_dest parameter. It is there no doubt.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Oracle DB not working fine.
Next Topic: Not able to start the services CMADMIN.EXE and CMAN.EXE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 22:57:20 CDT 2024