Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Add 2nd listener to same host (10g, sles 9)
Add 2nd listener to same host [message #405346] Wed, 27 May 2009 07:19 Go to next message
dirkm
I am a little pushed for time, so if you will please allow me to ask this question:

I need to add a 2nd listener to a host where I have 3 databases / instances running. How do I do this manually ?
(PS. I would like it to run on a different port, so that 1 of the 3 instances has its own listener and port, unless I can run 2 listeners on the same port, and have 1 of the instances running on its own dedicated listener)

I know I have to edit the listener.ora, and the tnsnames.ora, but what do I edit ?

1. Do I copy & paste the current listener in the listener.ora, and change the name & port (basically add a 2nd entry) ?
2. And what do I add to the tnsnames.ora ?

Dirk
Re: Add 2nd listener to same host [message #405352 is a reply to message #405346] Wed, 27 May 2009 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I am a little pushed for time, so I will answer later when I'll have time to read the manual.

1. Try it (faster answer than in forum) with obvious modifications if any.
2. Try it without doing anything and with obvious modification.

Regards
Michel
Re: Add 2nd listener to same host [message #405457 is a reply to message #405346] Wed, 27 May 2009 22:35 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>I need to add a 2nd listener to a host where I have 3 databases / instances running.

I doubt you need to run another listener.
What problem will the 2nd listener solve?
For which DBs will the 2nd listener handle?

>How do I do this manually ?
Use vi or editor of choice.

Please realize that any listener is NEVER involved with any SQL activity against the DB.

Good Luck with your emergency.
Previous Topic: SQLPLUS not logging in.
Next Topic: Invalid Objects after CPU PAtch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 21:46:09 CDT 2024