Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » How can change SYS password and back if we have Windows Admin account (9i, 10g, 11g)
How can change SYS password and back if we have Windows Admin account [message #406568] Thu, 04 June 2009 11:56 Go to next message
I can access to Windows by Administrator user, that means I can connect to Oracle DB in this server via "conn /as sysdba"
Some programs require sys password, but unfortunately I don't have sys password
Can I do like that:
- backup DB password file
- connect to DB via Windows account and reset sys password
- do some works by new sys password
- after that, recover old password file

My questions are:
- Can we have temporary sys password by that way?
- If can, which version of Oracle we can do?

Thanks
Re: How can change SYS password and back if we have Windows Admin account [message #406569 is a reply to message #406568] Thu, 04 June 2009 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

If you want sys password; Try to re-create oracle password file.

Quote:
>>- backup DB password file

totoaly wrong; check your sqlnet.ora; Is there any parameter like sqlnet.authentication_service?

thanks
Re: How can change SYS password and back if we have Windows Admin account [message #406571 is a reply to message #406569] Thu, 04 June 2009 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gentlebabu wrote on Thu, 04 June 2009 23:59

If you want sys password; Try to re-create oracle password file.

Quote:
>>- backup DB password file

totoaly wrong; check your sqlnet.ora; Is there any parameter like sqlnet.authentication_service?

thanks

Yes I know of course we need to setup parameter sqlnet.authentication_service for Windows authenticate before

My question is the way to change and back old password that we don't know

Re: How can change SYS password and back if we have Windows Admin account [message #406572 is a reply to message #406568] Thu, 04 June 2009 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>My question is the way to change and back old password that we don't know
If you don't know the old password, then it might be a challenge to revert it to the value you don't know. Right?

You should have saved it before you changed it.

Do you have a backup from which you can restore?
Re: How can change SYS password and back if we have Windows Admin account [message #406578 is a reply to message #406571] Thu, 04 June 2009 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
2884 wrote on Thu, 04 June 2009 13:02

My question is the way to change and back old password that we don't know

Taker a look at IDENTIFIED BY VALUES of the ALTER USER command.

This should be helpful:

http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Oracle_database_Security_FAQ

[Updated on: Thu, 04 June 2009 13:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How can change SYS password and back if we have Windows Admin account [message #406601 is a reply to message #406568] Thu, 04 June 2009 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@BlackSwan: can I backup and restore password file?

@joy_division: I've heard that "ALTER USER IDENTIFIED BY VALUES.." is correct for 9i, but not always correct for 11g. Is it true?
Re: How can change SYS password and back if we have Windows Admin account [message #406684 is a reply to message #406601] Fri, 05 June 2009 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
At a higher level, why do your programs need to connect as SYS?

There's nothing (other than shutting down and restarting the database) that they can do as sys that they can't (and should) do from a different account.

Don't use SYS for application things.

Just don't.

No - not even then.
Re: How can change SYS password and back if we have Windows Admin account [message #406731 is a reply to message #406684] Fri, 05 June 2009 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom wrote on Fri, 05 June 2009 18:30
At a higher level, why do your programs need to connect as SYS?

There's nothing (other than shutting down and restarting the database) that they can do as sys that they can't (and should) do from a different account.

Don't use SYS for application things.

Just don't.

No - not even then.

My program requires sys not normal account in some special keys to restructure database
Re: How can change SYS password and back if we have Windows Admin account [message #406734 is a reply to message #406568] Fri, 05 June 2009 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>My program requires sys not normal account in some special keys to restructure database
No, it does not. You are just misguided to believe it does.
Re: How can change SYS password and back if we have Windows Admin account [message #406743 is a reply to message #406568] Fri, 05 June 2009 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The program does created by me, but by 3rd party. So it requires SYS and I need to follow
Re: How can change SYS password and back if we have Windows Admin account [message #407265 is a reply to message #406743] Tue, 09 June 2009 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
You really need to have a word with your 3rd party suppliers and tell them to learn how to code properly.

I would say that if you don't know the SYS password, then that means that you aren't entitled to connect to the database as SYS, and that's the end of the matter. It's up to you at this point to convince me why I should help you to gain access to the SYS password on a database for which you don't have it.
Re: How can change SYS password and back if we have Windows Admin account [message #407295 is a reply to message #406568] Tue, 09 June 2009 08:09 Go to previous message
samg4ug
Hi,

The setting for logging in as "/as sysdba" in windows should be like the following:

ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/sqlnet.ora file's entry: SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

And the user that has oracle installation must be a dba user if not admin.

If these two are secured then you should be able to login as sysdba.

Once you are logged in query the dba_users table and save the password column's value. Now change the sys password and use it if it is still required even after logging in as sysdba.

Once your job is completed issue following command to reassign the old password which is unknown to you:

alter user sys identified by value 'old_password_hex_value';

I think this should work.

Regards,
Sam G
Previous Topic: ora 12505
Next Topic: DBLinks Inactive Sessions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 22:18:19 CDT 2024