Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » migration (8i to 10g)
migration [message #414767] Thu, 23 July 2009 07:40 Go to next message
maoro
hello
what is the best way to migrate an oracle 8 database(size 100 GB) from windows 2003 32 bit to sun solaris sparc 64 bit 10g database?
would import export do the job ? any alternative ?
many thanks
Re: migration [message #414771 is a reply to message #414767] Thu, 23 July 2009 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Export / Import would be the way I would use. Especially when the platform is different.

The alternatives, like the Database Upgrade Assistant, are really only an alternative when you upgrade on the same machine or at least the same platform.

Re: migration [message #414777 is a reply to message #414767] Thu, 23 July 2009 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maoro
thanks for your help
but it seems that when the database size is big they don't recommend using import export,
or shall i export and import schema after schema until all the database is exported and imported ?
many thanks
Re: migration [message #414781 is a reply to message #414777] Thu, 23 July 2009 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
maoro wrote on Thu, 23 July 2009 14:50
when the database size is big they don't recommend using import export

Really? Who are "they" then? Razz
(And did they give any reasons?)

One possible reason I could think of is that with an "upgrade" you upgrade the database "in place" and don't need additional space for two databases plus the export files. But that really is a moot point, since you have to TEST it anyway first, and then you definitely need space for two databases.

There are also ways to export into a pipe, and simultaneously read the import from that pipe, so you don't need space for the export files.

And when you have new machines for the new databases, then that point is not really relevant.

The good thing about export / import, in my opinion, is also that if something goes wrong during the export/import you always have the original database to fall back to.

DBUA might be faster, though, I'm not sure. The last export/import upgrade of a 800GB databse I did took about 8 hours (1 hour for the export / 7 hours for import)

Re: migration [message #414790 is a reply to message #414767] Thu, 23 July 2009 08:16 Go to previous message
maoro
Many thanks Thomas

the issue is i read it somewhere that when the database size is above 50 GB export import are not recommended,
plus i had some hard time during import of smaller database like 30 GB but those issues where usually solved by creating the tablespaces and users before starting the import,
i guess i will go for export import,
one more question: is rman convert command for endian format useful in my case ?
anyway i really appreciate your sincere help

thanks
Previous Topic: Upgrading DB from 9i to 10g
Next Topic: Problem in accessing the application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 23:38:42 CDT 2024