Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Maximum number of cursors (10gR2,Win2k3)
Maximum number of cursors [message #432648] Wed, 25 November 2009 08:13 Go to next message
abdulaziz
Hello,

We got an ORA-0100 error thrown by our database. I altered the system dynamically and increased their number to twice the default number, using the following:
alter system set open_cursors=600 scope=both;
. Seems like the problem is solved but I would like to know what can be the consequences of increasing the numbers of cursors and how to manage them? Any tips?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Maximum number of cursors [message #432654 is a reply to message #432648] Wed, 25 November 2009 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
More space used in memory, more time latch on some structures are taken and so more contention and so more waits and more CPU used.

Now you fix your current problem you should investigate why you needs so much cursors.
Most of the time this is because the applications do not close them and then sooner or later the error will raise again (whatever the value you give).

Regards
Michel
Re: Maximum number of cursors [message #432766 is a reply to message #432654] Thu, 26 November 2009 03:25 Go to previous message
abdulaziz
I talked to the developpers and they told me the application is written in VB, not in PL/SQL as I hoped. I exposed the facts to them and I hope they'll fix their code. I'll keep on digging, in case the problem comes from somewhere else.

Thanks for the help.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 November 2009 03:59] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: what datatype should the column that sequence generate store in?
Next Topic: Invalid Object - PRVT_ADVISOR
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 01 00:54:30 CDT 2024