Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Weird result from ORA 01994 (10gR2,RHEL4)
Weird result from ORA 01994 [message #433777] Fri, 04 December 2009 04:22 Go to next message
abdulaziz
Hello,

While trying to access a database remotely through RMAN, I got a set of errors whose cause were the fact that, the database I was trying to access didn't have password file authentication configured...that was true. I then decided to use a password file on that database and to grant the sysdba privilege to the user I was connecting remotely with. Unfortunately, Oracle threw the ORA 01994 error, GRANT Failed:Password file missing or disabled.

I ran a search on the net and all the solutions I got were saying, I should create a password file, and set the remote_login_passwordfile parameter to exclusive. I did, just that, but the error persists.

Below is how I created the password file:
orapwd file='/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/dbs/orapwdSECOND' password=amore entries=5 force=y
I added the parameter "force" because there was already a file named orapwsecond on that location.
Besides, when I ran the following
show parameter password
, the value was "EXCLUSIVE". I did try adding the extension .ora to the password file, but nothing. I restarted the instance, changed the parameter manually, but still nothing.

My database is running on RHEL4. I tried to compare with Windows and I realize on windows, the passwordfile is located in the \%ORA_HOME\database directory but on RHEL4, it's located in the %/ORA_HOME/dbs directory and in addition, there is no database directory on RHEL4. Is it normal? What am I doing wrong? I did exactely what the solutions I got from the net suggested but the error remains. Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 December 2009 04:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Weird result from ORA 01994 [message #433778 is a reply to message #433777] Fri, 04 December 2009 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
ORA-01994: GRANT failed: password file missing or disabled
 *Cause:  The operation failed either because the INIT.ORA parameter
          REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE was set to NONE or else because the
          password file was missing.
 *Action: Create the password file using the orapwd tool and set the
          INIT.ORA parameter REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE to EXCLUSIVE.

Quote:
there is no database directory on RHEL4. Is it normal

Yes, it only exists on Windows.

Regards
Michel

Re: Weird result from ORA 01994 [message #433782 is a reply to message #433778] Fri, 04 December 2009 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abdulaziz
I can hear you Michel, but what I do not understand is that, the passwordfile does exist because I created it...may be I did a mistake Shocked the syntax I used is the following:

orapwd file='%ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapwSECOND' password=amore entries=5
I can see that file in the directory targeted. after I created it, I restarted my instance, but the pb persists.

Thanks for confirming about the "database" directory on Windows.
Re: Weird result from ORA 01994 [message #433796 is a reply to message #433782] Fri, 04 December 2009 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You surely make an error if you used %ORACLE_HOME. It does not exist in Unix, it is $ORACLE_HOME.
Check your directory.

Also you don't need ' (and must NOT use them).

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Fri, 04 December 2009 05:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Weird result from ORA 01994 [message #433838 is a reply to message #433796] Fri, 04 December 2009 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abdulaziz
Michel Cadot wrote on Fri, 04 December 2009 05:25
You surely make an error if you used %ORACLE_HOME. It does not exist in Unix, it is $ORACLE_HOME.

Actually I meant to say, I explicitly typed the full path to the password file in the command. I removed the ' but still doesn't work. Embarassed
Re: Weird result from ORA 01994 [message #433839 is a reply to message #433838] Fri, 04 December 2009 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
If you don't post what you actually do you most have inappropriate answer.

So COPY AND PASTE what you do.
And copy and paste the result of:
select instance_name from v$instance;

Regards
Michel
Re: Weird result from ORA 01994 [message #433852 is a reply to message #433839] Fri, 04 December 2009 09:40 Go to previous message
abdulaziz
hmmmm Michel, you were right!
Below is what I was doing :
orapwd file='/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/dbs/orapwsecond' password=amore entries=5

I reviewed your second to the last post and I noticed you were suggesting I should lose the single quote. I did, but the problem remained.Then I used the following
orapwd file=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/dbs/orapwSECOND password=amore entries=5
that is, losing the single quote AND writing the ORACLE_SID in the orapw$ORACLE_SID parameter in capital letters. It worked.

Thank you for your assistance Michel.
Previous Topic: Scope of privileges (and PLUSTRACE role) (merged)
Next Topic: Recommended tools For Monitoring Oracle Databases
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 01 00:30:34 CDT 2024