Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle 8.1.7 database - Oracle not available
Oracle 8.1.7 database - Oracle not available [message #57347] Fri, 06 June 2003 18:47 Go to next message
Tony
Hi,
I usually administer solaris based oracle servers. But I am having problem with one of our oracle 8.1.7 database on our windows 2000 server. This used to work fine for a while, until last week. The database service and listener service on win2000 starts fine. I use tnsping to ping the database service and it pings fine. However I try to connect and it comes with Oracle not available. So now, I'm not sure whats going on. I can't even seem to use "svrmgrl" to connect to it. I even set the oracle SID and oracle home and it silll gives "tns protocol adapter error".
Here is what happens:
Lets say the SID is "XXX" and service name is "OracleServiceXXX". If I stop the service and try sqlplus I get the following:

C:>sqlplus system/manager@xxx.world

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Fri Jun 6 17:24:22 2003

(c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

ERROR:
ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process

Enter user-name:

But if I start the service "OracleServiceXXX" and use sqlplus I get:

C:>sqlplus system/manager@ssm.world

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Fri Jun 6 17:26:59 2003

(c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

ERROR:
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

Enter user-name:

I'm not sure what is going on. When I use tnsping I get:

c:> tnsping ssm.world

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on 06-JUN-20
03 17:28:42

(c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Attempting to contact (ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=LCL.WORLD)(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=SERVER1
)(PORT=1527))
OK (60 msec)

H:>

How do I find out what is going on? Is the database corrupt? If so why is the service running without problems? Can I look into any log files? I have full hot backup taken by brbackup and also full database export. Can I create a new database and do the restore? If so how do I make sure all the tablespaces and schema for that database is available to do the import.

Help!!!!!
Re: Oracle 8.1.7 database - Oracle not available [message #57350 is a reply to message #57347] Sat, 07 June 2003 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul van Velzen
Hi,
First you could try logging into the database instance using sys as sysdba account in svrmgr. When succesfull you could try to start the database by issuing the startup command.
Secondly, it seems that the database listener is unable to startup a dedicated server process. After you have succeeded to start the database, issue the following command in a DOS box:
set oracle_sid=XXX
lsnrctl status listener

assuming that you have named your listener "listener".
This may give you more information.
Re: Oracle 8.1.7 database - Oracle not available [message #57355 is a reply to message #57350] Sun, 08 June 2003 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abu Arbab
Hi
please try the below action:-
Turn on tracing at the ADMIN level and reexecute the operation. Verify that the ORACLE Server executable is present and has execute permissions enabled. Ensure that the ORACLE environment is specified correctly in LISTENER.ORA. The Oracle Protocol Adapter that is being called may not be installed on the local hard drive. Please check that the correct Protocol Adapter are successfully linked.
thank
Fathi
Re: Oracle 8.1.7 database - Oracle not available [message #57380 is a reply to message #57347] Tue, 10 June 2003 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trifon Anguelov
See few ways to resolve the ORA-27101 error on Windows

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Re: Oracle 8.1.7 database - Oracle not available [message #342488 is a reply to message #57347] Fri, 22 August 2008 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramyaselvi16

hi frnds,

use this procedure.

step 1: give username:internal, pasword: oracle

step 2: sql> startup
no semicolon.<<press enter button>>

step 3: sql>connect system/manager;

if u tried others except this, one error will shos to ulike " oracle could not availble long.

Re: Oracle 8.1.7 database - Oracle not available [message #342491 is a reply to message #342488] Fri, 22 August 2008 09:10 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I hope he didn't wait in front of his screen for your answer otherwise you just answered to a skeleton.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: change time
Next Topic: Restarting dead background process QMNC
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 06:52:26 CDT 2024