Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » SPU Patching doubt (Oracle 11.2.0.4)
SPU Patching doubt [message #679039] Thu, 30 January 2020 05:45 Go to next message
jordixmm
Hello:

I have a doubt on how to proceed on patching the latest SpU to an Oracle 11.2.0.4 database. I have never done only SPU patching; I always have applied patchsets releases or bundle patches (PSU + SPU). In these cases as an impact on application could be expected the developer had to do complete test on test environment before applying those patchs to production environment. And they have to allow for it (and maybe a budge).

As PSU contains only security fixes I was wondering if application testing could be more relaxed (or maybe not done); can I apply PSU patches in the same manner I apply security fixes on Operative System? This means just do it and notify.

Thanks
Jordi
Re: SPU Patching doubt [message #679041 is a reply to message #679039] Thu, 30 January 2020 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
jordixmm wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 05:45
Hello:

<snip>

As PSU contains only security fixes I was wondering if application testing could be more relaxed (or maybe not done); can I apply PSU patches in the same manner I apply security fixes on Operative System? This means just do it and notify.

Where did you get the idea that a PSU contains "only security fixes"? This is simply not true.

Quote:
"Patch Set Update

A collection of proactive, stabilizing cumulative patches for a particular product version (base release or patch set). PSUs are cummulative and include all of the security fixes from SPU patches (formerly known as CPU),plus additional fixes."
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/doc.121/e39376/glossary.htm#OPTCH248

Notice it says PSUs "include" (as in "not limited to") security fixes.

Re: SPU Patching doubt [message #679042 is a reply to message #679041] Thu, 30 January 2020 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jordixmm
Hello:

Oh, excuse me, I meant SPU.

Thanks
Re: SPU Patching doubt [message #679043 is a reply to message #679042] Thu, 30 January 2020 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jordixmm
The right question will be:

I have a doubt on how to proceed on patching the latest SPU to an Oracle 11.2.0.4 database. I have never done only SPU patching; I always have applied patchsets releases or bundle patches (PSU + SPU). In these cases as an impact on application could be expected the developer had to do complete test on test environment before applying those patchs to production environment. And they have to allow for it (and maybe a budge).

As SPU contains only security fixes I was wondering if application testing could be more relaxed (or maybe not done); can I apply SPU patches in the same manner I apply security fixes on Operative System? This means just do it and notify.

Thanks
Jordi
Re: SPU Patching doubt [message #679044 is a reply to message #679042] Thu, 30 January 2020 07:40 Go to previous message
EdStevens
jordixmm wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 07:06
Hello:

Oh, excuse me, I meant SPU.

Thanks
Ah yes, I just now saw that when I read your duplicate post in the MOSC forum.
Previous Topic: how long does the SQL stays in the v$sqlarea or dba_hist_sqltext
Next Topic: ERROR - START ORCLE SERVICE IRCL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:18:46 CDT 2024