Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle shutdown immediate hang
icon8.gif  Oracle shutdown immediate hang [message #126105] Fri, 01 July 2005 00:09 Go to next message
jasony
I am new in Oracle database and now having a problem with the Oracle database 9.2.01, on Windows 2000 box. It gives me an error says: Can not allocate log, archival required.

So I logged onto Oracle Enterprise Manager Console, and changed the profile ‘LOG_ARCHIVE_START’ to ‘True’, and then click Apply and then Shutdown Immediate, then it hangs (keep runing, but no any CPU usage)

What should I do now? should I restart the machine to kill the process?

Thanks in advance.

Jason
Re: Oracle shutdown immediate hang [message #126112 is a reply to message #126105] Fri, 01 July 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rodionov

I don't exactly understand what have happened with your database. It'll be better if you say error code (ORA-XXXXX). Any way try this if you want to turn your database archivelog on:

enter command line on you server console (cmd from "Run" menu) in it write such commands:

sqlplus /nolog

connect / as sysdba
shutdown immediate;
startup mount exclusive;
alter database archivelog;
atler database open;
commit work;
shutdown immediate;
startup;

But it seems to me that prolem not in this. You'd better say me an error. My ICQ number is 273894510. My E-mail rodionov@redstar.kr.ua

Re: Oracle shutdown immediate hang [message #126122 is a reply to message #126112] Fri, 01 July 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
Hi

probably ur archiver process is struck & u need to manually issue the command for archiving current redo log files.

Regds
Girish
icon7.gif  Re: Oracle shutdown immediate hang [message #126206 is a reply to message #126105] Fri, 01 July 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jasony
Thank you both Rodionov and Girish.

The problem is resovled now by runing the command: shutdown abort.

Thanks again.

Jason
Re: Oracle shutdown immediate hang [message #126213 is a reply to message #126105] Fri, 01 July 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Doesn't shutdown immediate tell oracle to wait to finish all currently executing transactions? (even if finish means rolling back). Abort just says go down now, and fix everything the next time you startup.
Re: Oracle shutdown immediate hang [message #126214 is a reply to message #126105] Fri, 01 July 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Yes, shutdown abort solved your problem, but I think it may only be short-term.

Next time you start the database and fill your online redo logs, you are once again going to hang because archiving is going to need to be done. There is an init.ora parameter LOG_ARCHIVE_START that needs to be set to TRUE. If it's already that way, then your ARCHIVE LOG START fixed your problem and you are ok.

It's also a possibility that you have run out of space on the filesystem where your archive log files reside.
Re: Oracle shutdown immediate hang [message #378942 is a reply to message #126105] Fri, 02 January 2009 18:22 Go to previous message
anand_study
Question was very old....but my may help someone else.

If DB Control ot Oracle Grid control is configured and related process/service is running, first stop those processes before issuing "shutdown immediate".

Previous Topic: Transporting Datafiles from one server to another
Next Topic: Oracle 6 DB Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 03:36:37 CDT 2024