Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Error in setting permissions on file/directory $ORACLE_BASE/jre/1.1.8/LICENSE
icon4.gif  Error in setting permissions on file/directory $ORACLE_BASE/jre/1.1.8/LICENSE [message #263046] Tue, 28 August 2007 22:45 Go to next message
kschandra
Hi,

While installing Oracle 9.2.0.4 on RedHat Linux release 4, I encounterd the
following error:

Error in setting permissions on file/directory
$ORACLE_BASE/jre/1.1.8/LICENSE

This error is encountered at the inital stage of installation after inputing all the
required settings in the OUI. and at the Installing Java Runtinme Environment 1.1.8.1.0

Could someone tell me why it happened and how to fix it? Your help is
much appreciated.

There was a post on this topic only in here and said to change the permissions of the
ORACLE_BASE .......... I have tried out all these and all the permissions and the environment settings are correct but i'm not able to proceed with the installation even after a lot of trying.

All you guys help is verry verry appresiated..........

Thanks,
Re: Error in setting permissions on file/directory $ORACLE_BASE/jre/1.1.8/LICENSE [message #263047 is a reply to message #263046] Tue, 28 August 2007 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arju

As a root user run,

chmod -R 777 $ORACLE_BASE
Re: Error in setting permissions on file/directory $ORACLE_BASE/jre/1.1.8/LICENSE [message #263049 is a reply to message #263047] Tue, 28 August 2007 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kschandra
hi Arju.... I have already done that man
but still no use and the error is continuing.................
Re: Error in setting permissions on file/directory $ORACLE_BASE/jre/1.1.8/LICENSE [message #263050 is a reply to message #263046] Tue, 28 August 2007 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arju

Change the ownership then .

chown -R oracle:dba $ORACLE_BASE

The you run from oracle user.
Re: Error in setting permissions on file/directory $ORACLE_BASE/jre/1.1.8/LICENSE [message #263063 is a reply to message #263050] Wed, 29 August 2007 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kschandra
hiiii

i have done with all the permissions and ownerships to the directory...........

all the permissions and ownerships to the directory are given and are correct ............ guys any other solution or any one has any idea wat to do and how to rectify it.................

NOTE : I have given 777 permissions to the directory and the ownership also to the directory as <username>:dba

but things are not working out

Re: Error in setting permissions on file/directory $ORACLE_BASE/jre/1.1.8/LICENSE [message #362026 is a reply to message #263046] Sun, 30 November 2008 01:00 Go to previous message
sree707

First of all, this error message is misleading(atleast in my case).There was write permissions in the target directory and i was able to create files in that directory without any problems as the oracle user manually.The problem actually lies in the source directory from where the installer tries to copy this files to the target directory.In my case the source directory contained the file "license" instead of the uppercase "LICENSE".I renamed the file "license" in the source directory to uppercase "LICENSE" and clicked "Retry" and the problem was solved.After solving this error, you will get similar errors for other files in that source directories which all has got this same problem.Just rename the corresponding files to the uppercase versions and it will install without any problems.

Your source directory will be under your installation directory tree(under Disk1).Just find the corresponding lowercase files and rename it, and you are done!!

This problem might have occured because of copying the oracle installation files from a windows partition to linux partition.

Sreejith V
Previous Topic: account locked
Next Topic: how many instances can be run in one server?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 07:28:59 CDT 2024